There’s been a lot of buzz in recent months about collagen prash and its overall health benefits. So many brands in India are coming up with plant-based collagen like Patanjali Nutrela Collagen Prash. However, questions arise about its potential risks and benefits. Are these plant-based collagen even real collagen?
Firstly, let’s understand what collagen is. And we will talk about collagen prash. Collagen is the most abundant protein found in the human body. It is mainly present in connective tissues, bones, joints, hair, and nails.
Benefits of collagen :
1. Collagen acts like a glue that holds together bones and joints. It helps grow bone density and strength. Collagen even supports good joint health.
2. One of the most important benefits is that collagen keeps gut health in check. It helps in digestion and treats leaky gut. A leaky gut is a condition when the intestinal lining develops holes and allows toxins to enter our body.
3. It improves skin elasticity and provides a youthful glow. Collagen reduces saggy skin and the appearance of wrinkles. It also acts as an anti-aging element.
4. Collagen helps to build more keratin (a hair growth protein). It also helps in making strands stronger and thicker.
5. This richly fond protein also boosts nail growth. It even reduces the frequency of broken nails.
The benefits of collagen are plenty. But why do we need collagen powder if our body makes up this protein? As we age, we tend to produce less and less collagen. It is our body’s natural process to slow down its production. Therefore, we need to supplement it with a source.
Types of collagen powder:
Hydrolyzed Collagen: It breaks the collagen (protein) into small amino acids so that our body absorbs them easily.
Marine Collagen: Collagen that comes from fish.
Bovine Collagen: It comes from cow bones.
Vegan Collagen: It is made by genetically modified bacteria and yeast.
The third kind is actually not collagen but a collagen builder.
What is vegan collagen made from then?
The most common collagen supplements are derived from fish or cows. This makes them non vegan and 100% animal-based products. Technically, plant-based collagen doesn’t exist. As collagen is found only in animals. But science has discovered a way to solve this problem for vegans.
Vegan collagens are produced from genetically modified yeast and bacteria. Therefore, they are known as collagen builders. It is a genetically engineered collagen. These products don’t carry collagen themselves, but rather contain different nutrients required for collagen production.
Is collagen prash a real collagen?
Collagen prash rhymes with chyawanprash. Big names such as Patanjali have introduced this vegan formula in India as a substitute for animal collagen. But Collagen prash is mainly a collagen builder and not the main source. We can consider it as a healthy supplement that is packed with amino acids and minerals.
It may not be as effective as an animal-derived collagen as its benefits depend on our body’s capability to take the collagen-boosting components and actually make collagen with them. These factors include metabolism levels, age, etc.
Another reason collagen prash is becoming so popular is its pricing. You may find it almost half the price of any animal collagen. That’s why people are crazy about collagen prash. You need to understand one thing that these are dietary supplements that provide you with essential vitamins and minerals. Your body needs them for different processes like immunity, cell repairing, etc. Collagen production is one such process.
Which is the best collagen powder?
Marine collagen is considered to be the most effective collagen source. Here are some extra benefits that marine collagen offers:
1. Improves skin elasticity: Marine powder allows skin cells to repair and rejuvenate skin. It makes skin appear smoother and shinier.
2. Increases bone strength: Studies have found that marine collagen has cured conditions like arthritis.
You can go for GradeOne’s Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder. It is a marine collagen infused with biotin, vitamin E, vitamin C, curcumin (turmeric) and 17 amino acids.
Biotin or vitamin B 7 keeps our internal organs fit and fine. While vitamin E keeps our skin and hair healthy from the inside. Vitamin C boosts immunity and makes it stronger to fight infections. Other amino acids relieves pain due to arthritis, and strengthens bones.
It is simple to have, making this a perfect blend to effectively rejuvenate skin/hair/nails, joints & bones. It is Gluten and Soy Free. It has 7 grams of collagen per scoop and comes in a Mango flavour. You can easily mix it up in water and drink it at your leisure. Take a scoop and mix it in water in the morning. Have it every day to have maximum benefits.