One of the oldest markets in Delhi NCR, Chandni Chowk is a chaotic shopping hub filled with narrow lanes and street hawkers all over the place. The area was built in 17th century by Shah Jahan-a Mughal Emperor and thus provides the ultimate medieval times experience. Shopping at Chandni Chowk offers all kinds of stuff ranging from clothing and electronics to stationary and spices. The market is opposite to Red Fort and provides a view of Fatehpuri Mosque. During the reign of Shah Jahan, a tree-lined canal ran right through the centre of this place. This canal reflected the moon and thus the name ‘Chandni Chowk’ came to being which actually means ‘moonlight place’. It is also an important historical site with all sorts of goods as well as food available.
How to reach Chandni Chowk Market?
If you wish to go to the market via public transport, you should opt for going by the Delhi Metro. At the metro, you have to take the yellow line which you can change from Rajiv Chowk, Central Secretariat, Kashmere Gate or New Delhi Metro Station. On the yellow line, you need to take the metro towards Samaypur Badli and get down at Chandni Chowk Metro Station. The market lies at a walking distance from the metro which is why this is the most convenient option to reach Chandni Chowk.
If you wish to travel by bus, Daryaganj bus stop is the nearest stop to reach this market. Alternatively, you can also take a direct cab to Chandni Chowk Market by referring the google maps.
Shopping at Chandni Chowk-What does the market offer?
Chandni Chowk is divided into a number of small markets, each of which is known for selling specific products. It is the largest wholesale market all over Asia. Filled with narrow criss-crossed lanes, this place provides a real Old Delhi feeling. The markets deal in each and everything you can think of buying for yourself and offers great variety too. So here’s the list of the markets of Chandni Chowk and what each one has to offer:
- Nai Sadak – They offer school textbooks, novels, comics, magazines and basically any other kind of books that you might be looking for. They also offer different kinds of stationery items.
- Dariba Kalan – The market here is all about the love for jewelry. It offers an exquisite range of silver jewelry as well as other artificial jewelry. You can also find great Kundan and Meenakari jewelry and other items like natural perfumes (attar). The speciality here is silver jewelry and you can find items like earrings, necklaces, anklets, nosepins and such other pieces which are exceptionally beautiful.
- Kinari Bazar – This part of Chandni Chowk is specifically famous for wedding shopping. It deals in beautiful trims and pieces of fabrics, borders, tinsel, lace, gota pattis and so much more! In addition to this, you can also find fancy party wear here.
- Katra Neel – The cloth bazaar of Katra Neel has literally every kind of fabric that you can expect. Silk, muslin, cotton and crepe are amongst the wide range of fabrics offered here. Katra Neel is also famous for wedding shopping as it has many stores selling lehengas, sarees, suits, designer wear and even menswear.
- Bhagirath Palace – It is the largest market in Asia for electronics and electronic goods. Besides, it is also famous for selling basic and fancy lights. That’s not all, they also have shops selling various kinds of medical equipment and allopathic medicines.
- Ballimaran Market – Ballimaran Market is famous for their trendy sunglasses and footwear collection at unbelievably nominal prices. From vintage style glasses and latest footwear to Ray Ban dupes, it offers great products starting from just Rs.50
Food at Chandni Chowk
Apart from offering an amazing shopping experience, Chandni Chowk also has various eateries for you to stop by. When you’re tired from the street shopping, you can stop here to indulge in the most famous food corners of Old Delhi. Below is the list of the most famous food joints in Chandni Chowk.
- Paranthe Wali Gali
- Old famous Jalebi Wala
- Jang Bahadur Kachori Wala
- Aslam Chicken
Chandni Chowk is the most famous market in Delhi for all kinds of shopping. Having featured in Bollywood movies like Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham and Chandni Chowk To China, this market is truly a must visit. To know more about the market and it’s best shops, do watch our video on Chandni Chowk Market Tour and Try On Haul.
Watch our awesome video on our Chandni Chowk designer lehenga shopping!